A student visa allows international students to undertake full-time education and training in Australia. This visa enables a student to stay in Australia for the duration of the relevant course.

Length of Stay

This is a temporary visa to study up to 5 years. The type of course and its length will determine the length of stay.

Primary school children enrolled in years 1-4 will generally only be granted a student visa for a maximum period of 3 years. 

To continue studying in Australia, you must apply for a new Student visa.

If your Student visa will expire before your graduation you might be eligible for a Visitor visa (subclass 600). You will need a letter from your education provider with the date of your graduation.

Include family

You can include family members when you lodge your visa application. For student visas, your family member is:

·       your partner, or

·       your or your partner’s dependent child who is unmarried and has not turned 18 years of age.

The migration department cannot grant a student visa to your child if they have turned 18 years at the time your visa is finalised. They need to apply for their own visa.

You must declare your family members in your student visa application even if they do not plan to travel with you to Australia. If you do not do this, your family members will not be eligible for a student visa to join you in Australia.

Family members who apply for the visa must meet the government requirements for health and character.

Check the annual school costs you will need to pay for any dependent children to go to either public or private schools in Australia.


The visa costs from AUD620 for the main applicant, unless they are exempt.

There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa.

Students might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.

To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not take into account the other costs.

Processing times

Visa processing time varies form case by case. About 75% of applications are finalised in 4 months.

Your application can take longer to process if:

·       you do not fill it in correctly

·       you do not include all the documents as required

·       the migration department needs more information from you

·       it takes us time to verify your information

The migration department can’t process your application if you do not pay the correct visa application charge. They will notify you if this is the case.

With this visa, you can:

·       participate in an eligible course of study in Australia

·       travel in and out of Australia

·       work up to 40 hours every 2-week period once your course starts and work unlimitedly during school holiday break

To apply for this visa, you must:

·       be enrolled in a course of study in Australia

·       hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

·       must be 6 years or older

·       prove you have a welfare arrangement if you are under 18

·       genuinely intend to complete the relevant period of study in Australia

·       have the required level of English language proficiency unless exempt

·       have access to sufficient funds to cover your return airfares, tuition fees and the cost of living in Australia, as well as costs required for any dependents included in your application

Application process

·       Prepare documents to apply for a full-time course at an Australian education provider and obtain written confirmation of your enrolment (CoE) from that provider.

·       Obtain overseas student health cover during your stay in Australia.

·       Apply for student visa.

·       Meet the health and character requirements

After completing all the above steps, you will be granted the visa by DOHA.

student visa-3.jpg

General requirements for Student visa (subclass 500)

 English language requirement

English language test score must be within two years by the time you apply for the student visa. The minimum English score requirement is 5.5 IELTS/ 42 PTE/ 46 TOEFL iBT. Those who do not meet the minimum English score may be required to learn an English course (ELICOS) from 10 weeks to 30 weeks.

Evidence of financial capacity

Depending on your nationality and the education provider you select, you may be required to provide evidence of financial capacity. You can demonstrate this capacity by providing one of the following:

·       Evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months’ living, course and (for school aged dependants) schooling costs for the student and accompanying family members

·       Evidence that you meet the annual income requirement (such as payslips, letter from employer)

GTE statement

As part of your student visa application the department will assess to see if you are genuinely going to stay in Australia temporarily.

In order to prove this, we need evidence such as:

·       statement of purpose

·       ties to your home country

·       evidence of past study (we have your accounting diploma)

·       work experience

Previous study requirement

Depending on your selected educational provider, you may be required to meet other entry requirements from the provider, such as a higher minimum English level, or a certain grade of GPA in the previous school year. Specific information regarding this will be provided on the website of each institution.

Please contact us for assistance in preparing all documents and applying the visa for you.