This is a temporary visa. The length of your visa will be determined by the student visa holder’s stay and their age. This visa allows you to stay in Australia as the guardian of an international student younger than 18 years of age studying in Australia on a student visa.

With this visa you can

·       You cannot work.

·       come to Australia to provide care and support for a student visa holder who is under 18 years of age (or over 18 in exceptional circumstances)

·       care for more than one student

·       study an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) for less than 20 hours per week, or any other study or training for no more than 3 months

·       You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want while the visa is valid. But you can’t leave Australia without the student visa holder unless you have made alternative welfare arrangements.

How long you can stay

You can stay in Australia until a date specified on your visa grant letter. In deciding this date, the migration department usually consider the length of the student visa holder’s stay or when that student turns 18. You can stay longer in Australia by applying for a further Student Guardian visa.

Bringing children

If any member of your family unit has not turned 6, you cannot be granted the visa unless:

·       there are compelling and compassionate reasons or

·       granting the visa would significantly benefit the relationship between the Australian Government and the government of another country, you are 21 and if the student visa holder has not turned 18, the nomination is supported by a parent or someone with custody of the student.

Children 6 years old or older can come with you but they must apply for their own student visa.

The child must meet the same health requirements as you and have health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia.


you must be:

·       the parent of the student visa holder, or

·       a person who has custody of the student, or

·       a relative of the student, aged 21 years or older, nominated in writing by a parent or person who has custody of the student

You will provide care and support for:

·       a student visa holder who is under 18 years of age or

·       a student visa holder who is 18 years of age or older and needs care and support due to exceptional circumstances

For this visa, a relative is the student’s:

·       parent or step-parent

·       grandparent or step-grandparent

·       sibling or stepsibling

·       aunt, uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle

·       niece, nephew or step-niece or step-nephew

·       partner

·       child or stepchild

You must be able to provide accommodation, general welfare and support to the student.

Pre-qualifying visas

If you can apply in Australia you must hold a substantive visa except for one of these:

·       Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426)

·       Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) stream

·       Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) – primary visa holder only. A family member of a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) can apply for a Student visa in Australia

·       Transit visa (subclass 771)

·       Visitor visa (subclass 600) in the Sponsored Family stream or in the Approved Destination Status stream

Financial support

You will need to be able to financially support yourself while in Australia. You will need to be able to financially support accompanying family members.

You must show the migration department evidence that you have enough money to pay for your stay in Australia for meeting the costs and expenses of yourself, your accompanying family members and in most cases, the student visa holder.

Processing times

Your application may take longer to process if:

·       you do not fill it in correctly

·       you do not include all the documents we need or we need more information from you

·       it takes us time to verify your information

The migration department cannot process your application if you do not pay the correct visa application charge. We will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application.


The visa costs from AUD620 for the main applicant.

There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you.

You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.

To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not take into account the other costs.