This visa allows people 18 to 30 years old (inclusive) have an extended holiday in Australia and work here to help fund their trip. The Visa holders can generally work for up to six months with any one employer and can study for up to four months. Work up to 12 months for some types of specified work and regional areas may be possible. However, there is an annual limit on the number of first Work and Holiday visas granted to each eligible country.

With this visa you can

·       You can do any kind of work on this visa, but only work for the same employer for 6 months

·       study for up to 4 months

·       travel to and from Australia as many times as you want

·       do 3-6 months of specified subclass 462 work to become eligible for a second or third Work and Holiday visa

Applicant requirement

·       be aged 18 to 30 years old (inclusive) when you lodge your application.

·       not have previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) or Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)

·       meet the minimum education requirement, this requirement varies from country to country.

·       in the last 12 months before your application, you must have at least Functional English (e.g. IELTS 4.5 averagely).

·       depending on your country of origin, you may need to have a letter of support from your government

·       be a citizen of and hold a valid passport from one of these countries:

o   Argentina

o   Austria

o   Chile

o   China, PRC

o   Czech Republic

o   Ecuador

o   Greece

o   Hungary

o   Indonesia

o   Israel

o   Luxembourg

o   Malaysia

o   Peru

o   Poland

o   Portugal

o   San Marino

o   Singapore

o   Slovak Republic

o   Slovenia

o   Spain

o   Thailand

o   Turkey

o   Uruguay

o   United States of America

o   Vietnam

Please Note: These are the minimum requirements for an application for this type of visa. Depending on your particular circumstances, you may need to meet additional requirements.

How long you can stay

This is a temporary visa. You must enter Australia within 12 months of the date it’s granted. The migration department will not extend or defer this timeframe.

The visa becomes active on the date you enter Australia. Once you have entered and the visa is activated.

You can’t stay in Australia longer by extending this visa. Generally, the migration department do not grant a visitor visa after you have been in Australia on a Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa unless there are exceptional circumstances.

You could apply for a second or third Work and Holiday visa if you are eligible.

Include family

You can’t include family members in your application.

You can’t be accompanied by dependent children while you are in Australia on this visa.



You might also have to pay for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.

Apply from

You must be outside Australia when you apply for this visa and when the migration department decide your application. Your second or third work and holiday visa can be lodged within Australia if you’re eligible to apply.

Processing times

75% of applications in 49 days

90% of applications in 79 days

Your application might take longer to process if:

·       you don’t fill it in correctly

·       you don’t include all the documents we need or we need more information from you

·       it takes us time to verify your information

Annual visa limit

Every program year the migration department grant a limited number of first Work and Holiday visas to applicants from each eligible country except the United States of America. The program year begins on 1 July and ends on 30 June.

Once this annual limit or ‘cap’ is reached, they will not grant any more visas. You should wait until the new program year commences on the following 1 July to submit an application.