This visa is for international students who have recently graduated with a degree from an Australian institution. It lets you live, work and study in Australia, temporarily.

You must

– Be under 50 years of age

– Hold an eligible visa 

– Have held a student visa in the last 6 months

– Have a recent degree in a CRICOS-registered course

– Have evidence of adequate health insurance for all applicants when you apply

– Provide evidence of adequate health insurance for all applicants when you apply

– Provide evidence you have applied for an AFP check when you apply 

– Provide evidence of the required level of English with the application

With this visa

You can

– Stay in Australia for between 2 to 4 years after you have finished your studies

– Travel, work or study in Australia during your stay

You must find your own employment while on this visa. The Home Affairs are not responsible for arranging employment.

How long can you stay

This is a temporary visa. The length of your stay in Australia will depend on the level of your Australian study qualification.

– Bachelor degree (including honours): 2 years

– Masters by coursework: 2 years

– Masters by research: 3 years

– Doctoral degree: 4 years

– Hong Kong passport holders who successfully complete a bachelor, masters or doctoral degree: 5 years

For further information on recent changes regarding Hong Kong passport holders read New visa options for Hong Kong

Stay longer

You can’t stay in Australia longer by extending this visa.

Current temporary graduate visa holders from Hong Kong will be eligible for an extension of 5 years (from 9 July 2020) in addition to the time theyíve already been in Australia.

Current and future temporary graduate visa holders from Hong Kong will also have a pathway to permanent residency after 5 years.

You might be eligible for other skilled work visas. Use the visa finder to find out options for work.

Include family

You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply.

Family members who apply for the visa must meet the health and character requirements.

You can add your children to the application until a decision on your application is made. You can’t add any other member of the family unit to your application during that period.

Your family can also apply to join you in Australia as a subsequent entrant after the Home Affairs grant your visa. See When you have this visa.


The visa costs AUD1,650 for the main applicant.

There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you.

Subsequent entrants must pay the full visa application charge.

You might also have to pay other costs for health checks or police certificates and biometrics.

To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not take into account the other costs.

The subclass 485 visa is exempt from the subsequent Temporary Application Charge.

Apply from

You can be inside Australia but not in immigration clearance when you apply, and when the Home Affairs grant your application.

Graduates impacted by COVID-19 travel restrictions may also be able to apply for, and be granted this visa outside Australia. See the COVID-19 and the border website.

Subsequent entrants can be in or outside Australia when they apply and when the Home Affairs grant them the visa.

Processing times

Your application can take longer to process if:

– You do not fill it in correctly

– The Home Affairs need more information from you

– It takes time to verify your information

The Home Affairs can’t process your application if you do not pay the correct visa application charge. The Home Affairs will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application.

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.


You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want while the visa is valid.

The time you spend outside Australia does not extend the visa.

Visa label

The Home Affairs will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.

Be this age

You must be under 50 years of age.

Have this visa

This stream is only available if you applied for, and were granted, your first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. 

If you held your first student visa prior to this date, even as a child on your parentís student visa, then you will not be eligible to apply for this stream.

Eligible prospective subclass 485 visa applicants can make their visa application outside Australia during the concession period  and be granted the visa while they are outside Australia

The Home Affairs will process your visa application if:

– You are the main holder of a current student visa, (but not one supported by the Defence or Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister)

– You held a student visa within the past 6 months before your application and you now have a Bridging Visa A or Bridging Visa B, granted on the basis of a valid application for a visa

– You held a student visa within the past 6 months before your application and you now hold a substantive visa

– You are no longer the holder of a student visa, but if you have been impacted by COVID-19 travel restrictions and unable to travel to Australia to apply for a Temporary Graduate visa, provided you have held a student visa within the last 12 months, you are eligible to apply

The Home Affairs can’t grant you this visa if The Home Affairs have previously granted you a subclass 485 or a subclass 476 visa as a primary visa holder.

Meet the Australian study requirement

Unless impacted by COVID-19 travel restrictions, in the past 6 months before you applied for this visa you must have met the Australian study requirement. You will meet this if you are awarded at least one degree, diploma or trade qualification and:

– Your course was a Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)-registered course

– Successfully completed all course requirements

– Study was in English

– Completed your course as a result of at least two academic years (92) weeks study 

– Completed your course in Australia in not less than 16 calendar months

– Held an Australian study visa that allowed you to study.

When applying for this stream of the subclass 485, the course or courses must have resulted in a degree, diploma or trade qualification.

To meet the second academic year component of the Australian study requirement, you may combine courses in some circumstances.

For example, a student may complete two consecutive Diploma level courses and satisfy the Australian study requirement under the Graduate Work stream, provided the other components of the requirement are satisfied.

Student visa holders impacted by COVID-19 travel restrictions, will be able to count online study towards the Australian Study Requirement.

Your education provider will need to complete Form 1545 – COVID-19 Impacted Students (229KB PDF).

You should attach the completed and signed form to your Temporary Graduate visa application. Failure to attach this form when you apply may cause processing delays.

Hold an eligible qualification at degree-level or above

The Post-study Work stream of the subclass 485 visa is for international students with eligible qualifications, regardless of their field of study. You must have also met the Australian study requirement within the past six months, which means:

– Your course is CRICOS-registered

– You successfully completed all course requirements

– Your study was in English

– You completed your study over at least two academic years (92 weeks)

– You were physically in Australia for at least 16 calendar months to complete the study

– You held an Australian visa that allowed you to study


The qualification that you have completed must be an eligible degree. This means a:

– Bachelor degree

– Bachelor (honours) degree

– Masters by coursework degree

– Masters (extended) degree

– Masters by research degree

– Doctoral degree

If you have studied a standalone diploma or trade qualification, you are not eligible eligible to be granted a visa in this stream.

Have studied with an Australian education provider

Your course must have been with an Australian education provider who is registered on CRICOS  and offer degree-level programs.

Have this passport or this level of English language

You can either show that you hold a valid passport from the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland, or prove your English proficiency. To do this, show the evidence that in the last 3 years, you achieved

Have adequate health insurance

You are personally liable for all your healthcare costs while you are in Australia. Medical insurance helps limit your financial liability.

You must have adequate health cover for the whole of your stay to be granted this visa. Your cover should cover you for medically necessary treatment, including transport.

Reciprocal healthcare agreements

Some countries have a reciprocal healthcare agreement with Australia. Find out more from Services Australia about reciprocal healthcare agreements.

Overseas student health cover

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is acceptable health insurance if you are still on a student visa when you submit or send your application for a subclass 485 visa.

However, OSHC will not be acceptable evidence of adequate health cover if you no longer hold a student visa.

If you are applying for this visa while you are covered by OSHC, you will need to have adequate health cover (other than your OSHC) either immediately after your OSHC ends or before the Home Affairs make a decision, whichever comes first.

If the Home Affairs decide on your application before your OSHC ends, the Home Affairs will contact you to ask you to obtain non-OSHC cover before the Home Affairs decide it.

Meet health requirement

You and any family who apply for the visa with you must meet the health requirement.

Meet character requirement

You and any family members aged 16 years and over who apply for the visa must meet the character requirement.

Sign the Australian values statement

If you are 18 years of age or older, you must:

– Have read, or had explained to you, the Life in Australia booklet and

– Sign an Australian Values Statement that confirms you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws

Have no debt to the Australian Government

If you or any family members owe the Australian Government money, you or they must have paid it back or arranged to pay it back.

Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused

You might not be eligible for this visa if you have had a visa cancelled or refused while you were in Australia.  Check if visa cancellation affects your eligibility.