This visa is for international students who have recently graduated with skills and qualifications that are relevant to specific occupations Australia needs. It lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily.

You must

– Be under 50 years of age

– Hold an eligible visa

– Have held a student visa in the last 6 months

– Have a qualification relevant to an occupation on the skilled occupation list

– Have applied for a skills assessment in your nominated occupation on the skilled occupation list

– Provide evidence of adequate health insurance for all applicants when you apply

– Provide evidence you have applied for an AFP check when you apply

– Provide evidence of the required level of English with the application

With this visa

You can

– Stay in Australia, usually for 18 months

– Travel, work or study in Australia during your stay

You must find your own employment if the Home Affairs grant this visa. The Home Affairs are not responsible for arranging employment.

How long you can stay

This is a temporary visa. You can usually stay in Australia for 18 months. Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years

The visa is granted with multiple entry. You can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid.

The visa starts on the date the Home Affairs grant the visa.

For further information on recent changes regarding Hong Kong passport holders read New visa options for Hong Kong

Stay longer

You can’t stay in Australia longer by extending this visa.

You might be eligible for other skilled work visas. Use the visa finder to find out options for work.

Current temporary graduate visa holders from Hong Kong will be eligible for an extension of 5 years (from 9 July 2020) in addition to the time theyíve already been in Australia.

Current and future temporary graduate visa holders from Hong Kong will also have a pathway to permanent residency after 5 years.

Include family

You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply.

Family members who apply for the visa must meet the health and character requirements.

You can add your children to the application until a decision on your application is made. You can’t add any other member of the family unit to your application during that period.

Your family can also apply to join you in Australia as a subsequent entrant after the visa is granted. See when you have this visa.


The visa costs AUD1,650 for the primary visa applicant.

There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you.

Subsequent entrants must pay the full visa application charge.

You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.

To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not take into account the other costs.

The subclass 485 visa is exempt from the subsequent temporary application charge. 

Apply from

You can be inside Australia but not in immigration clearance when you apply, and when the Home Affairs grant your application.

Graduates impacted by COVID-19 travel restrictions may also be able to apply for, and be granted this visa outside Australia. See the COVID-19 and the border website.

Subsequent entrants can be in or outside Australia when they apply and when the Home Affairs grant them the visa.

Processing times

Your application can take longer to process if:

– You do not fill it in correctly

– The Home Affairs need more information from you

– It takes time to verify your information

The Home Affairs can’t process your application if you do not pay the correct visa application charge. They will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application.

Your obligations

You and your family must meet all visa conditions and follow Australian laws.


You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want while the visa is valid.

The time you spend outside Australia does not extend the visa.

Visa label

The Home Affairs will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.

Be this age

You must be under 50 years of age.

Have this visa

Eligible prospective subclass 485 visa applicants can make their visa application outside Australia during the concession period and be granted the visa while they are outside Australia.

The Home Affairs will only process your visa application if:

– You are the main holder of a current student visa (but not one supported by the Defence or Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister);

– You held a student visa within the past 6 months before your application and you now have a Bridging Visa A or Bridging Visa B, granted on the basis of a valid application for a visa

– You held a student visa within the past 6 months before your application and you now hold a substantive visa

– You are no longer the holder of a student visa, but if you have been impacted by COVID-19 travel restrictions and unable to travel to Australia to apply for a Temporary Graduate visa, provided you have held a student visa within the last 12 months, you are eligible to apply

The Home Affairs can’t grant you this visa if the Home Affairs have previously granted you a subclass 485 or a subclass 476 visa as a primary visa holder.

Meet the Australian study requirement

Unless impacted by COVID-19 travel restrictions, in the past 6 months before you applied for this visa you must have met the Australian study requirement. You will meet this if you are awarded at least one degree, diploma or trade qualification and:

– Your course was a CRICOS-registered course

– You successfully completed all course requirements

– Your study was in English

– You completed your course as a result of at least two academic years (92) weeks study 

– You completed your course in Australia in not less than 16 calendar months

– You held an Australian study visa that allowed you to study

When applying for this stream of the subclass 485, the course or courses must have resulted in a degree, diploma or trade qualification.

To meet the 2 academic year component of the Australian study requirement, you may combine courses in some circumstances.

For example, a student may complete two consecutive Diploma level courses and satisfy the Australian study requirement under the Graduate Work stream, provided the other components of the requirement are satisfied.

Have skills and qualifications that Australia needs

You will need to:

– Nominate 1 occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and

– Have a degree, diploma or trade qualification closely related to that occupation and

– Be assessed by a relevant assessing authority as having skills suitable for that occupation

You must nominate the occupation when you apply, or the Home Affairs canít process your visa application. You can’t change the occupation you nominate after you apply

The qualification level must be closely related to that occupation.

Example: Acceptable combinations of qualification and nominated occupations include:

– Nominating ‘Physiotherapist’ as your skilled occupation and a degree in physiotherapy in Australia

– Nominating ‘Air-conditioning and Mechanical Services Plumber’ as your skilled occupation and having a Certificate III in Plumbing and a Diploma of Plumbing and Services in Australia

Example: Not acceptable combinations of study of qualification and nominated occupation include:

An applicant’s nominated occupation is Registered Nurse but they satisfied the ‘Australian study requirement’ on the basis of having completed a Bachelor of Commerce.

Additionally, your skills must be assessed by a relevant assessing authority as suitable for the nominated occupation. For example, if you nominated ëSpeech Pathologistí, the authority you must get an assessment from is Speech Pathology Australia.

If your skills are assessed on the basis of a qualification you got in Australia when you held a student visa, the qualification must be from studying a course registered on CRICOS.

You must provide evidence when you apply that you have at least applied for a skills assessment or the Home Affairs cannot process your visa application.   

It is your responsibility to arrange for the skills assessment. Contact the relevant assessing authority well before you apply for this visa, because each assessing authority has its own assessment procedures, timeframes and charges. See how in Before you apply.

Some assessing authorities only provide assessments that are valid for a set period. It is your responsibility to check that this period has not expired by the time the Home Affairs make a decision. If there is no set period, then you must have obtained the assessment within the last 3 years.

Have this passport or this level of English language

You can either show that you hold a valid passport from the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland, or prove your English proficiency. To do this, show the evidence that in the last 3 years, you achieved:

— International English Language Testing System (IELTS) –>  Overall score of at least 6 with a minimum score of 5 for each of the 4 parts    

 — Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT) –> Total score of at least 64 with a minimum score of 4 for listening, 4 for reading, 14 for writing and 14 for speaking    

 — Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) –> Overall score of at least 50 with a minimum score of 36 for each of the 4 parts    

 — Occupational English Test (OET) –> At least B for each of the 4 parts    

 — Cambridge C1 Advanced test –> Overall at least 169 with a minimum score of at least 154 in each of the 4 test components    

Have adequate health insurance

You and your family members are personally liable for all your healthcare costs while you are in Australia. Medical insurance helps limit your financial liability.

You must have adequate health cover for the whole of your stay to be granted this visa. Your cover should cover you for medically necessary treatment, including transport.

Reciprocal healthcare agreements

Some countries have a reciprocal healthcare agreement with Australia. Find out more from Services Australia about reciprocal healthcare agreements.

Overseas student health cover

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is acceptable health insurance if you are still on a student visa when you submit or send your application for a subclass 485 visa.

However, OSHC will not be acceptable evidence of adequate health cover if you no longer hold a student visa.

If you are applying for this visa while you are covered by OSHC, you will need to have adequate health cover (other than your OSHC) either immediately after your OSHC ends or before the Home Affairs make a decision, whichever comes first.

If the Home Affairs decide on your application before your OSHC ends, the Home Affairs will contact you to ask you to obtain non-OSHC cover before the Home Affairs decide it.

Meet health requirement

You and any family members who apply for the visa with you must meet the health requirement.

Meet character requirement

You and family members aged 16 years and over who apply for the visa must meet the character requirement. 

Sign the Australian values statement

If you are 18 years of age or older, you must:

– Have read, or had explained to you, the Life in Australia booklet and

– Sign an Australian Values Statement that confirms you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws

Have no debt to the Australian government

If you or any family members owe the Australian Government money, you or they must have paid it back or arranged to pay it back.

Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused

You might not be eligible for this visa if you have had a visa cancelled or refused while you were in Australia. Check if visa cancellation affects your eligibility.