This visa lets you observe or take part in a research project at a research or tertiary institution in Australia. You and your family who apply for the visa with you can stay here for up to 2 years.
– Have a sponsor or supporter depending on your circumstances
– Be invited to observe or take part in research at an Australian research or tertiary institution
– Apply online
With this visa
– Observe or take part in a project at a research or tertiary institution in Australia
– Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid
– Include members of the family unit in your application
Usually, you would observe or take part in the research for up to 12 months.
You might be eligible for this activity type if you:
– Are an academic who has made significant achievements in your field
– Are employed, or were employed in the past, as an academic at a tertiary institution
– Have been invited to observe or take part in an Australian research project at an Australian tertiary or research institution, usually in collaboration with other academics employed there
Research student activities
You might be eligible for this activity type if you are:
– A student or recent graduate of an overseas educational institution
– You have been invited to undertake research related to your field of study at an Australian tertiary or research institution
If you have not yet graduated, you must be undertaking the research to meet the requirements for your overseas qualification.
How long you can stay
This is a temporary visa.
The Home Affairs grant the length of stay based on the activity they approve you to do on the visa.
The maximum stay for this visa stream is 2 years.
The visa is granted with multiple entry. You can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid.
If you are outside Australia when the visa is granted, the visa stay period starts on the day that you enter Australia. If you are in Australia, the visa starts on the day it is granted.
If the Home Affairs grant the visa, the Home Affairs will let you know how long you can stay.
You can’t stay in Australia longer by extending this visa.
If you need to stay longer to complete your research activities, you will need to submit a new application for this visa.
– Include members of the family unit in your application when you apply, or
– Add family members to your application at any time before the Home Affairs make a decision
Family members who apply for the visa with you must also meet health and character requirements.
If the Home Affairs grant you the visa, your family members might be able to apply to join you in Australia later as a subsequent entrant.
The visa costs AUD310 for the main applicant.
There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you.
You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not take into account the other costs.
You can be in or outside Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply for the visa and when the Home Affairs decide your application.
Your application might take longer to process if:
– You don’t fill it in correctly
– You don’t include all the documents the Home Affairs need, or they need more information from you
– It takes time to verify your information
The Home Affairs can’t process your application if you don’t pay the correct visa application charge. The Home Affairs will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application.
You and your family must meet all visa conditions and follow Australian laws.
Your activities must not harm the work, training or work conditions of Australian citizens or permanent residents.
If you stop working for your sponsoring or supporting organisation, you may not be eligible to hold this visa. if this happens, you must do one of the following:
– If eligible, apply for a new visa, or
– Leave Australia within 28 days of stopping work for your sponsor/supporter, or earlier if your visa is expiring
You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want while the visa is valid.
The time you spend outside Australia does not extend the visa.
The Home Affairs will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.
If the Home Affairs grant you a visa, the Home Affairs will send you a grant notification letter containing the visa grant number. You can use this number to access your digital visa record
For academic research activities
You must be invited to observe or participate in an Australian research project at an Australian tertiary or research institution, usually in collaboration with other academics employed there.
For research student activities
You must be invited to undertake research related to your field of study at an Australian tertiary or research institution.
Have a supporter or sponsor
You need a supporter
You don’t need a sponsor to apply for this visa if you:
– Apply outside Australia, and
– Intend to stay in Australia for less than 3 months
However, you must have a supporter to apply for this visa.
You need a sponsor
You need a sponsor to apply for this visa if you:
– Apply in Australia, or
– Apply outside Australia and intend to stay for more than 3 months
Be an established academic researcher, research student or recent graduate
To be eligible for this activity type, you must:
– Be or have been employed as an academic at an overseas tertiary or research institution
– Have a record of significant achievement in your field
Research student or recent graduate
To be eligible for this activity type you must be:
– A student of a foreign educational institution or have graduated within the last 12 months
– Invited to undertake research related to your field of study
If you have not yet graduated, you must be undertaking the research to meet course requirements for your overseas qualification.
Be able to support yourself and any dependants
You must have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Australia and any dependent family members who travel to Australia with you.
Meet health requirement
You and any family members who apply for the visa with you must meet the health requirement.
Meet character requirement
You and family members aged 16 years and over who apply for the visa with you must meet the character requirement.
The Home Affairs might also ask that other family members meet the requirement.
Have adequate health insurance
You are personally liable for all your healthcare costs while you are in Australia. Medical insurance helps limit your financial liability.
You must have adequate health cover for the whole of your stay to be granted this visa. Your cover should cover you for medically necessary treatment, including transport.
Reciprocal healthcare agreements
Some countries have a reciprocal healthcare agreement with Australia. Find out more from Services Australia about reciprocal healthcare agreements.
Be a genuine temporary entrant
You can’t use the temporary visa program to maintain ongoing residency in Australia.
The genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement helps the Home Affairs to make sure that you use temporary visas correctly.
The Home Affairs generally do not let temporary residents extend their stay in Australia beyond 4 years by applying for this visa.
The Home Affairs must be satisfied that you have a genuine intention to stay here temporarily.
When assessing your application, the Home Affairs will consider:
– Your situation
– Your immigration history
– Previous compliance with visa conditions
– Any other relevant matter
Have paid back debt to the Australian government
If you owe the Australian Government money, you must have paid it back or have a formal arrangement to pay it back.
Sign the Australian values statement
If you are 18 years of age or older, you must acknowledge the Australian Values Statement that confirms you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws when you apply for the visa.?
Declare you have not paid for visa sponsorship
You must declare whether you have ever engaged in conduct that could consitute a breach of the prohibition on paying for visa sponsorship when you apply for the visa.
Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
You might not be eligible for this visa if you have had a visa cancelled or refused while you were in Australia.