This visa lets you do full-time religious work for a religious institution in Australia. You and your family who apply for the visa with you can stay here for up to 2 years.

You must

– Have an agreement to work full time for a religious institution in Australia

– Be supported or sponsored depending on your circumstances

– Apply online

With this visa, 

you can

– Do full-time religious work for a religious institution in Australia

– Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid

– Include members of the family unit in your visa application

The work you do must directly serve the religious aims of a religious institution in Australia. You can’t do secular work, like administration or aged care, for the institution.

Religious work could include:

– Providing spiritual leadership

– Conducting worship

– Teaching or offering guidance on religion

– Providing pastoral care

– Proselytising

– Other high-level specialist work relating to these things

How long you can stay

This is a temporary visa. The Home Affairs grant the length of stay based on the activity the Home Affairs approve you to do on the visa.

The maximum stay for this visa stream is 2 years.

The visa is granted with multiple entry. You can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid.

If you are overseas when the visa is granted, the visa stay period starts on the day that you enter Australia. If you are in Australia, the visa starts on the day that it is granted.

Your visa grant letter will tell you how long you can stay.

Stay longer

You can’t stay in Australia longer by extending this visa.

As a religious worker, you can apply for a second Temporary Activity visa. But you can’t stay in Australia for more than 4 years in total on the first and second visa.

Include family

You can:

– Include members of the family unit in your application when you apply, or

– Add family members to your application at any time before the Home Affairs make a decision

Family members who apply for the visa with you must also meet the health and character requirements. 

Subsequent entrants

If the Home Affairs grant you the visa, your family members might be able to apply to join you in Australia later as a subsequent entrant.


The visa costs AUD310 for the main applicant.

There is also a fee for each family member who applies for the visa with you.

You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.

To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not take into account the other costs.

Apply from

You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa and when the Home Affairs decide on your application.

Processing times

Your application might take longer to process if:

– You don’t fill it in correctly

– You don’t include all the documents the Home Affairs need, or they need more information from you

– It takes time to verify your information

The Home Affairs can’t process your application if you don’t pay the correct visa application charge. They will notify you if this is the case and if necessary return your application.

Your obligations

You and your family must meet all visa conditions and follow Australian laws.

Your activities must not harm the work, training or work conditions of Australian citizens or permanent residents.

If you stop working for your sponsoring or supporting organisation,  you may no longer be eligible to hold this visa. If this happens you must: 

– If eligible, apply for a new visa, or

– Leave Australia within 28 days of stopping work for your sponsor/supporter, or earlier if your visa is expiring


You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want while the visa is valid.

The time you spend outside Australia does not extend the visa.

Visa label

The Home Affairs will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.

If the Home Affairs grant you a visa, they will send you a grant notification letter containing the visa grant number. You can use this number to access your digital visa record.

Have a suitable employment contract

You must have an agreement to work full time as a religious worker with a religious organisation.

Your wages and employment conditions must meet the necessary standards under the relevant Australian legislation and awards.

Have a supporter or a sponsor

You need a supporter

You don’t need a sponsor to apply for this visa if you:

– Apply outside Australia, and

– Intend to stay for less then 3 months in Australia

However, you must have a supporter who passes the support test to apply for this visa. 

You need a sponsor

You need a sponsor who is a temporary activities sponsor to apply for this visa if you:

– Apply in Australia, or

– Apply outside Australia and intend to stay for more than 3 months in Australia

Have the right experience or qualifications for the work

You must have the appropriate experience and qualifications to do the religious work that is set out in your agreement.

Be able to support yourself and any dependants

You must have access to enough money during your stay in Australia to support yourself and any dependent family members who travel to Australia with you.

Meet health requirement

You and any family members who apply for the visa with you must meet the health requirement.

Meet character requirement

You and family members aged 16 years and over who apply for the visa with you must meet the character requirement

The Home Affairs might also ask that other family members meet the requirement.

Have adequate health insurance

You are personally liable for all your healthcare costs while you are in Australia. Medical insurance helps limit your financial liability.

You must have adequate health cover for the whole of your stay to be granted this visa. Your cover should cover you for medically necessary treatment, including transport.

Reciprocal healthcare agreements

Some countries have a reciprocal healthcare agreement with Australia. Find out more from Services Australia about reciprocal healthcare agreements. 

Be a genuine temporary entrant

You can’t use the temporary visa program to maintain ongoing residency in Australia.

The genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement helps the Home Affairs to make sure that you use temporary visas correctly.

The Home Affairs generally do not let temporary residents extend their stay in Australia beyond 4 years by applying for this visa.

The Home Affairs must be satisfied that you have a genuine intention to stay here temporarily.

When assessing your application, they will consider:

– Your situation

– Your immigration history

– Previous compliance with visa conditions

– Any other relevant matter

Have paid back debt to the Australian government

If you owe the Australian Government money, you must have paid it back or have a formal arrangement to pay it back.

Sign the Australian values statement

If you are 18 years of age or older, you must acknowledge the Australian Values Statement that confirms you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws when you apply for the visa.?

Declare you have not paid for visa sponsorship

You must declare whether you have ever engaged in conduct that could constitute a breach of the prohibition on paying for visa sponsorship when you apply for the visa.

Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused

You might not be eligible for this visa if you have had a visa cancelled or refused while you were in Australia. Check if visa cancellation affects your eligibility.