With this visa you can

·       Travel to Australia as many times as you want, visa valid up to 1 year

·       as a tourist – for example, to cruise or have a holiday

·       to visit family or friends

·       as a business visitor

·       stay (including study or training) in Australia for up to 3 months each entry

Note: Applicants who are seeking to train at a childcare centre, study to be a doctor, dentist, nurse or paramedic or enter health care or hospital environments should apply for the Visitor (subclass 600) visa and complete the relevant health checks.

Business visitor

·       As a business visitor, you can:

·       make general business or employment enquiries

·       investigate, negotiate, enter into or review a business contract

·       conduct activities as part of an official government visit

·       take part in a conference, trade fair or seminar. The organisers can’t pay you to take part

You can’t:

·       work for or provide services to a business or organisation based in Australia

·       sell goods or services directly to the public

If you want to do short-term work in Australia that isn’t a business visitor activity, consider applying for a temporary work visa.

Applicant requirements

You might be able to get an Electronic Travel Authority if you are:

·       outside Australia

·       a passport holder from the following countries:

o   Andorra

o   Austria

o   Belgium

o   Brunei

o   Canada

o   Denmark

o   Finland

o   France

o   Germany

o   Greece

o   Hong Kong (SAR of China)

o   Iceland

o   Ireland

o   Italy

o   Japan

o   Liechtenstein

o   Luxembourg

o   Malaysia

o   Malta

o   Monaco

o   Norway

o   Portugal

o   Republic of San Marino

o   Singapore

o   South Korea

o   Spain

o   Sweden

o   Switzerland

o   Taiwan (excluding official or diplomatic passports)

o   The Netherlands

o   United Kingdom—British Citizen

o   United Kingdom—British National (Overseas)

o   United States of America

o   Vatican City

How long you can stay

This is a temporary visa. The migration department grant it for either 12 months from the date it is granted, or how long your passport is valid for, whichever is the shorter.

The visa is granted with multiple entry. You can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you want while it is valid. You can remain in Australia for 3 months after each entry.

The visa starts on the date it is granted unless you hold another substantive visa that is in effect.

You cannot stay in Australia longer by extending this visa. You must apply for another visa.

Including family

You cannot include family members in your application. A separate application must be made for each member of your family, including those listed on your passport.


The ETA is free. There is an online application service cost of AUD20.

Processing times

Standard processing time for the Australian visa and ETA is 24 hours. Rushed visas can be done sooner than 24 hours and super rushed processing time takes 1 hour.

Your application might take longer to process if:

·       you don’t fill it in correctly

·       it takes us time to verify your information

Any other substantive visa

If you hold any other substantive visa and an ETA when you arrive in Australia, you will enter Australia on your other substantive visa, not your ETA. Your ETA will come into effect when the other visa ceases.

However, the 3-month ETA stay period still begins when you enter Australia.

Check your other substantive visa is valid for more than 3 months if you want to stay in Australia longer than the 3-month ETA stay period.